Re: removing unwanted accidentals

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: removing unwanted accidentals
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:12:06 -0500

I think we want Lilypond to continue to follow standard practive. If we give
users the ability to violate those rules then total novices will start
making mistakes.

I think you know that in the example you gave, a person reading the score
would just play an f sharp where you want an f natural if you suppressed the
natural. Why supply a way to suppress that natural if we also have to say
never actually do if you do not want them to play f sharp? Another way of
putting it is that you could suppress the natural in that case, just by
writing fis instead of f, that is what someone reading it would play anyway,
so what's the point?

I am saying here that automatic control of accidentals is better, given the
number of choices we already have. In this case 'forget' solved the problem.

Stephen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Erik Sandberg" <address@hidden>