Re: 2.6 release. (Was: new manual chapter)

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: 2.6 release. (Was: new manual chapter)
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 11:59:52 +0200

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 11.21, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> >>   The basic problem with complex examples, is that they're
> >> difficult to read if you don't already know what they say.
> >
> > I confess that I haven't completely thought out what to do with this
> > new possible chapter.  I'm pretty sure that we could use another
> > wordy chapter that explains some of the more complicated lilypond
> > stuff; I'm not certain whether that should take the form of annotated
> > short examples, annotated complicated contrived examples, or just
> > an extension of the existing tutorial (but in a separate chapter for
> > ease of reading).
> >
> > If we're going to have a new chapter, IMO it should be included before
> > 2.6.0.  We've rearranged the manual between 2.4 and 2.6, so users will
> > have to get used to a new chapter numbering scheme; it would be a pity
> > if 2.6.5 (or whatever) introduced a new chapter which changed the
> > chapter numbering scheme again.
>
> In general, I advise to resist the temptation to start something new
> (new chapter, new approaches), until you're sure that what we have
> doesn't work. Starting something new is easy, but following through with
> something isn't.
>
> Regarding the release: you can insert an empty chapter now. I hope to
> release 2.6 Real Soon Now, and I don't want to stop the release because
> of unwritten doc chapters.
>
> At the moment there are still these show-stoppers before I can release 2.6
>
>   - add encoding to emmentaler font for correct PDF embedding

I suppose this is what causes bugs/chord-name-dim-symbol.ly. If not, this
problem should be fixed as well.

>   - MacOS X doesn't get dynamic fonts
>   - drum notation is broken.

> Any other  pressing problems?

There's nothing more that's strictly release-critical AFAIK, but you can
consider these problems:
- Midi is slightly more broken than before also (I think midi output worked
better in 2.2 than in 2.4, but I don't know about any negative differences
betw. 2.4 and 2.5). I don't think this is release-critical.
- hangs-quote-grace.ly: This is a hang, but it occurs in 2.4 as well so it
isn't strictly critical.
- Two people complained already about progerror-stem-has-no-extent.ly. Could
be worth fixing; just removing that progerror call could be OK for the stable
branch.
- slur-appoggiatura.ly: outstanding bug with no known good workaround. Occurs
in 2.4 as well so not strictly critical.
- Do a big grep -r 2.4 in e.g. documentation, this is sometimes forgotten in
x.2n.0 releases.

This list of issues is just based on what I have in the bug archive now, there
could exist more problems.

Erik