Re: markup{} vs TextScript

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: markup{} vs TextScript
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 00:05:43 -0500

That is a hard one because they are both accurate terms in their own right, but they stem from different sources or contexts. I think maybe markup is a false analogy and textscript is a bit more literal. Still, I am no expert and I suspect both terms are equally accurate and descriptive, which is my criterion for choosing names.

The important thing is making it clear that changing TextScript properties will affect anything created with \markup. Which just adding the link would do. Changing \markup to \text or \textscript might make things more clear in most contexts, but I am not sure. Anyway, that is the way I would go with it. As I see it the issue is is there a difference between text and markup text or is it all just text? I suspect it is all just text and the term 'markup is unnecessary.

The first sentence in 5.7.5 Text scripts is:

It is possible to place arbitrary strings of text or markup text (see Text markup) above or below notes by using a string c^"text".

'text or markup text'? If there is any distiction between these two things, I am all for keeping both terms, otherwise I think 'markup' could easily be dropped. That is the kind of sentence that I keep in the back of my brain, until I figure out whether there really is a distiction between the two and what it is.

Stephen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>