Another documentation issue

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Another documentation issue
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:13:06 +0200

Hi,

At the bottom of most sections of the manual, there are some links to
the program reference. However, the links to music expressions like
"ArpeggioEvent", layout objects like "Arpeggio" and a few  (but far
from all) engravers like "Accidental_engraver" are all mixed together.
Personally, I have never used the program reference of any music
expression, whereas those for the layout objects and engravers are
much more useful, at least if you want to modify some properties.
I guess I would find the music expressions more useful if I had
written fancy Scheme hacks.

This is a pedagogical problem. I don't know how many times I have
answered on the mailing list and instructed people to follow the
link at the bottom of the page, but how should then know which one
to follow? I know from experience that I should look for something
that isn't called "*Event"

Can't these links be organized better so it's clearer what is what
to make it easier to find the useful information. I can think of
many possible conventions, such as explicitly specifying
Layout object: Arpeggio
Music expression: ArpeggioEvent
Engraver: Arpeggio_engraver
I'm not sure what convention is the best and maybe it doesn't matter
that much as long as the information in the section "Navigating
the program reference" describes the system used.

Maybe one alternative is to skip the links to the music expressions
(*Event) all together since they can be found by navigating
Arpeggio -> Arpeggio_engraver -> arpeggio-event.
This would also reduce the number of links that have to be
kept up to date manually in the manual.

  /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing