Re: lilypond Documentation/user/programming-interfa...

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilypond Documentation/user/programming-interfa...
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 01:06:54 -0700

On 9-Aug-05, at 12:20 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
     (stack-lines DOWN 0.0 baseline-skip lines)))
  (def-markup-command (justify layout props args) (markup-list?)
-  "Like wordwrap, but with lines stretched to justify the margins."
+  "Like wordwrap, but with lines stretched to justify the margins.
+Use @code{\override #'(linewidth . X)} to set linewidth, where X
+is the number of staff spaces."

There are actually a number of commands where the result depends on
some property value. Why not make a general description on how to
set these properties, which can be refered in the documentation of
all these commands. Now some of these properties are just refered
to as "properties" some as "layout properties". Also, such a description
can explain the (property . value) syntax and relate it to the syntax
of normal overrides.

That would be useful, but IMO we should still give this example. Although \justify is useful without setting linewidth (ie with linewidth=pagewidth) when it's being used for a whole page of text, if you're using \justify in the middle of a score, you almost ways need to set linewidth to be much less (probably
only a few cm).

Or, to put it another way: I'm scratching an itch. The first time I tried to use \justify, I wasted a huge amount of time trying to figure out how to set the width before I finally stumbled across input/regresssion/ . I'm far from perfect, but if a common command take me a long time to figure out, I think I should
modify the docs.

(as for the general property setting stuff: I certainly wouldn't turn away any
patches, but I won't be working on this until Sept)