Re: Sponsoring lilypond development Was Re: Score parts: instrument and

From: Heikki Junes
Subject: Re: Sponsoring lilypond development Was Re: Score parts: instrument and duration
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:24:14 +0300

Erik Sandberg wrote:

As you say, it could be useful to start a constructive dialogue with the SCORE folks, to (a) see what it would require (in terms of improved program design) to make them join us.
(b) get inspiration from their engraving expertise.

I found a nice EPS-file advertising what SCORE can do, take a look at
 http://www.scoremus.com/color.eps
The example contains many things what lilypond is able to do.

In my opinion, LilyPond should excel in the basic music notation, in music
notation for everyone. This is the base where most users are.

Therefore, the biggest news for an ordinary user may be the "\verse" -markup,
currently mentioned only in the comment of the score-text.ly -source, see:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#score-text.ly
This "\verse" could, for example, just simplify the following:

   \markup {
%       \fill-line {
            \line {
                "3. "
                \column {
                    \line { My last Li-ly text }
                    \line { See what will be next! }
                }
            }
%       }
   }

to something as simple as

\verse { "3. " "My last Li-ly text" "See what will be next!" }

I am also happy to see that LilyPond meets the needs of contemporary composers, experts, etc. through the spurred development via sponsoring.

If LilyPond will continue meet the needs of most modern composers, its manuals will become the primary source for studying _hand-written_ notation practises -- I would like to see this happen. I still prefer first to write scores by
hand, and only then to transcribe them using LilyPond.

I am not worried about that will the number of LilyPond users increase.
It will, as long as the LilyPond project continues.

Heikki