Page breaks, was: something else

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Page breaks, was: something else
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:17:43 +0200

Erik Sandberg wrote:
On Thursday 18 August 2005 14.13, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Erik Sandberg wrote:

Did you try \pageBreak? :) IMHO, perfect page breaks is one of the things
that

\pageBreak, did we have that? :-)

Yes, I tried, but I thought it was a lot of hassle. It would ease up
things if lily produced line breaks in places where a page break is
sensible.

I have been thinking about this issue. There are two problems with "sensible" page breaks: 1. Page breaks are only critical when you need to turn pages. If you don't need to turn a page, it's better to use the current algorithm. Page breaks _often_ happen every second pagebreak, but not always. (sometimes you may have 3 visible pages at once, sometimes 2). Also, it's always unclear whether the first page will be a left or right page so you'd have to communicate that somehow. That communication would probably be about as much work as inserting a \pageBreak. 2. When there is no good page break (such as in orchestral scores), no effort should be done to find the 'optimal' one, we should just be greedy (this can of course be done)

For these reasons, I would vote strongly against having clever pagebreaks turned on by default. It could be nice as an option, though.

Finding clever page breaks is certainly a very tricky business, where
a human often can do a better job. However, a first step could be to
try to automatically adjust the line breaks between the user specified
page breaks to provide a pleasing layout. As far as I can remember, the
current line breaking algorithm only considers one line at a time.

   /Mats