Re: Sponsoring lilypond development Was Re: Score parts: instrument and

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Sponsoring lilypond development Was Re: Score parts: instrument and duration
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:25:07 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > The biggest obstacle to SCORE users probably is the fast changing syntax.
> > They _need_ a reliable format.
>
> I'm almost certain they don't. SCORE for publication material. Once music is
> published, there is little need to run the .lys again.

I do not completely agree:

- Errors happen (even with the superior MIDI output of Lily), and
corrected versions have to be published.

- It is not only a question of existing scores, but of the score setters.
Once you learnt how to do this and that, you want to use that knowledge.

All that said, I believe it is not important to keep the format fixed once
and for all. But it should be reliable in the sense that you can learn how
to make the lyrics font bigger, and be sure that the same method works 20
versions later.

Ciao,
Dscho