Re: Illegal C++

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Illegal C++
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:02:08 +0200

Wiz Aus writes:

> I would just like to see some amount of acceptance among lilypond
> developers that not everyone works in the same environment

We distribute easily installable binary versions for most platforms.
This spring, I took a 2.5 months unpaid holiday, spending most of my
development time plus a fair part of my allocated 7hs of nighlty rest
to prepare those.

>, and willingness to accommodate those who choose different
>environments, for whatever reason.

It is our job to develop and spread LilyPond, using our time as
efficiently as we can.  If you want to contribute to LilyPond, that's
grand.  We could certainly do with a few more brilliant developers.

If they want to try out an as yet unsupported development environment
and invest their time in hoping to get LilyPond built there, that's
just fine.  I do not care if they choose an environment that is
non-free, expensive, or both.  I do not care if they choose it for all
the wrong reasons.

However, I am under no obligation to support such adventures.  If
you're smart, develop LilyPond in the environment that we use and
learn something by seeing things from our perspective.  If you're
brilliant, adapt our build system to your environment and send clean
patches.

> And, as I suggested before, it doesn't seem unreasonable to at least
> provide links to the various versions of things that are known to be
> needed.

There is nothing magic about building LilyPond.  It builds on any well
equipped GNU/Linux development box.  Please consider getting one.

* The configure script checks for everything that is needed.

* The INSTALL file mentions everything that's needed

    http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/topdocs/out-www/INSTALL.html

* The actual commands that you need to type to install packages on various
  free platforms are given at

    http://lilypond.org/web/devel/packaging

* I sent you an url with mingw sources and binary packages in

    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2005-10/msg00073.html

* The packaging scripts in the source packages list the buildrequires
  or build-depends for various platforms

      make/lilypond.*.spec.in
      debian/control

* Install Debian or Ubunto, issue