Re: a new lilypond build failure

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: a new lilypond build failure
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:49:49 +0200

Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
   ec-fonts-mftraced

Wait, you mean showed up and is now gone?  What's it for anymore?  Why
did we ever have it? :)

It was for Lily 2.4, which supported Latin1 encoding and fonts, but not unicode.

   libkpathsea3
   tetex-bin
   tetex-extra

are not requirement anymore.  They may be useful, and are required
when using the (unsupported) TeX backend.

Ok; they were once used for processing the texinfo docs, right?

You say that the TeX backend is no longer supported (!).  Why is this?
The manual still regards .tex output as the default output format and
plenty of users regard it as the expected thing.

No, Lily used to be linked against libkpathsea to locate TeX fonts, so it could determine dimensions of texts. This is no longer necessary with Pango. LilyPond now outputs PS directly, which you can include into TeX with \includegraphics{}. Supporting TeX (with all of its crappy support tools) was one of the major headaches of deploying LilyPond, and I'm very glad it's gone.

If the manual suggests .tex is the default, then that would be a bug in the manual then; can you pinpoint it more exactly?

We still have a .tex backend, but it's for TeX wizards that know what they're doing without reading the manual.