Re: A quest through the docs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: A quest through the docs
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 01:31:21 -0800

On 26-Feb-06, at 11:24 PM, Don Blaheta wrote:
And before you explain the differences between the three to five ways of setting values, yes, I understand, but it's not immediately obvious when
meeting a new value for the first time which kind it is.  And the
quickest way to convey that information is with a simple three-line
example.

Sorry, I was unclear. I've added your example. I just don't think that we need a paragraph explaining what each line does -- I think the example is clear enough as it is.

but it doesn't make sense to sprinkle two dozen explanations about
staff-spaces throughout the manual.

That was a secondary point, but if your objection is to sprinkling
explanations, why not just sprinkle hyperlinks?  Add a parenthetical
"(measured in _staff space_)" after the word "line-width" on 10.5.7, and
have _staff space_ link to wherever it's explained.

That's a good idea... but I'm still not certain we need it for this. "Distances are measured in staff spaces" is a fairly basic lilypond thing (at least, it's basic to doing tweaks), so I'd rather improve its visibility in the beginning stages, rather than sprinkling it everywhere. It's like those "examples in the manual need {} and maybe \relative c''{} to be placed around the printed example to make it produce the music shown" warnings. There's no point in printing that warning everywhere; we just need to make sure people see it at the beginning.