Re: doc branching

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: doc branching
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:51:59 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:
2. Much shorter devel periods (say, four months). New users still get confused and ask questions about things which I've already clarified,

3. Once a month, somebody goes through the tiresome process of sifting through differences between the devel and stable manuals, and backports whatever is appropriate. If somebody wants to volunteer to do this, fine; I'm not willing to do it.

4. For the first half of the development cycle, don't include new features in the manual. New things get listed in NEWS, but only there.

my preference in order of desirability:

2. -> we've been trying to do this for ages, and for the 2.8 it's almost worked (9 months).

The real problem is that all hackers should agree on a single period were nothing but bugfixing happens. It might be a good thing to just use the Linux 2.6 model, where we have a fixed period in time to merge new functionality and then a cool-off period to fix bugs, and more rapid cycles.

3. -> This shouldn't be too hard if the number of sync points is small. You can just run a diff between older versions and apply the diff to 2.8; big problem: this doesn't work when we change the syntax radically.

4. -> I oppose of this. In the ideal world, each release, including every 2.9.x, is a fully self-contained, 'finished' release. Allowing documentation to go out of date further raises the barrier to doing a "stable" releases, and we want that barrier to go down, instead of up.

Perhaps we can come to a hybrid? Ie.

 - improve the 2.9 manual only with documentation for new functionality
 - improve the 2.8 manual only for things that didn't change in 2.9
 - front-port the 2.8 documentation patches to 2.9 every once in a while.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com