Re: doc branching

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: doc branching
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 05:14:26 -0700

On 5-Apr-06, at 4:49 AM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Graham Percival wrote:
If the hackers are fine with this, I'm certainly happy with this solution. I take it that we're still in the bug-fixing stage? (since 0 recently came out, we have a lot of new interest, finding more bugs, pointing out more doc stuff, etc)

Errmmh, no, we had the bugfixing stage before the 2.8.0 release. In 2.8 we only fix regression bugs, and I don't remember seeing any of those yet.

Well, there's some kind of mysterious bug on windows that's causing problems, isn't there? (ok, that doesn't narrow it down much :) I was considering installer/running issues as bugs, rather than traditional lily bugs (ie notation).

Whatever you want to call the situation with lilypond itself, I'm still getting a lot of small fixes for the docs -- as expected from a new stable release.

Adding all the new features (at least, all the new features which IMO were worth being in the manual) from the 2.8 NEWS file would take me less than six hours. It would probably be two, but I'm being conservative in my estimate. Updating the documentation syntax is just a matter of convert-ly -- and in the case of the 3.0 change, perhaps some manual stuff. But all that work would need to be done anyway.

Maybe the real problem is that we're about to have a release with both major functionality (Joe's page breaking patches, Erik's music streams etc.) and scheduled syntax maintenance. Perhaps we ought to do those in two separate releases (2.10 and then a 3.0).

I'm always in favor of smaller releases... particularly in this case. Before breaking the syntax, we should make sure that we do all the breakage we can. Err, that didn't come out right. :) I mean that we should do it all at once.

In addition, if Erik's music streams are in place in 2.10, then users who don't want to manually upgrade syntax on old completed files have the option of using the streams (which is the whole point of them, right?) If you look at it that way, wouldn't we be absolutely crazy to release 3.0 instead of 2.10? :)

I really think that doing all this at once will result in less work, not more, and will present no extra barrier to release.

ok.

Thinking about it more, it probably would cause a fair amount of havoc in a 2.x->3.0 release. But I'm certain that it will work well for 2.x or 3.x releases. I'll just have to make sure the manual is perfect for 2.10, so I don't need to change anything in between 2.10 and 3.0.

- improve the 2.9 manual only with documentation for new functionality
 - improve the 2.8 manual only for things that didn't change in 2.9
- front-port the 2.8 documentation patches to 2.9 every once in a while.
Err... yuck? I really don't want to be working on two large documents at once. If you want, I could only improve things for 2.8 that didn't change in 2.9, and you could improve the 2.9 manual with new functionality and front-port 2.8 patches. But I don't think you want to be doing more work. :)

That doesn't sound so bad actually.

Maybe it's just my inexperience with diff/cvs...

The mode of working could be: people contributing 2.9 material make rough-draft documentation, which will be in an appendix "New functionality". Relevant parts of the main manual get a single "Changed in 2.9 see Appendix X" marker.

Isn't this exactly what the NEWS does? Ok, I guess NEWS is a bit light on details... but this was essentially my initial idea. If people are submitting more in-depth documentation, then that certainly makes my life easier.

Then, when we gear up for 2.10 / 3.0 release, and you overwrite the manual with the 2.8 version, and then distribute the 2.9 material over the new manual.

Exactly! ... actually, this could work even better than I originally thought -- if I only make changes to the 2.8 docs, I don't need to track unstable lily (and its various little hiccups, like new functionality in CVS and docs that I can't compile until a new unstable GUB release).