Re: Problem with \partial

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Problem with \partial
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 09:10:26 +0200

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 17:54, Graham Percival wrote:
> Erik Sandberg wrote:
> > Perhpaps \partial should be renamed to \upbeat or similar, in order to
> > prevent this kind of confusion? (\partial only indicates that a bar is
> > shortened, while \upbeat indicates that the command only is relevant for
> > upbeats)
>
> So what happens here?
>
> \noTimeSignature
> c4 c c c | d d d d \upbeat 4 d | c c c c
>
> IMO, \partial is just fine.  If there's some confusion, by all means we
> can clarify the docs.  As always, I gratefully accept any specific
> recommendations for doc changes.

IMHO using \partial in the middle of a bar is confusing; I think there should
be some other command that sets the length of an individual bar. Do you think
it would make sense to invent such a command?

I think I can implement one of the following commands:
\tweakBarLength s4*5: Set the remaining length of the current bar to 5/4
\oneBar {d d d d d}: output the notes and makes sure the bar is ended after
the last one.

--
Erik