Re: Problem with \partial

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Problem with \partial
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 11:23:23 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

please note that \partial or \upbeat, whatever you call it, has musicologically a special meaning: the first, incomplete bar, and the last bar of a piece or of a major section of a piece (typically the bar before the next "||" bar glyph) should sum up to a complete bar.

For example, if a song with 4/4 meter starts with "\partial 4 f4", the last bar should, by convention, have a total length of 3 quarter notes. Having said that, you never should use "\partial" or "\upbeat" somewhere within a piece. If lily nevertheless accepts it within a piece without issuing an error or warning, I consider this a bug.

Having a bar within a piece that differs in length from the foreassigned meter is a different concept.

Greetings,
Juergen