Re: Texinfo 4.11 required [Re: Autotester: FAIL make -f lilypond.make LI

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Texinfo 4.11 required [Re: Autotester: FAIL make -f lilypond.make LILYPOND_BRANCH=master doc-build]
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:45:39 -0800

Rune Zedeler wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that requiring a texinfo that new is very unfortunate?

Given how much it simplifies macros.texi, it's worth it.

Especially when we try to get more users to contribute to the documentation.

This is not a problem for GDP. Trust me, I wrap my helpers in cotton. They don't even need to make their own diffs or find the source files themselves!

And ESPECIALLY because I find texinfo difficult to build.
Here, it barks with

terminal.o: In function `terminal_delete_lines':
/tmp/texinfo-4.11/info/terminal.c:365: undefined reference to `tgoto'
/tmp/texinfo-4.11/info/terminal.c:365: undefined reference to `tputs'
/tmp/texinfo-4.11/info/terminal.c:369: undefined reference to `tputs'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

How odd. I've built texinfo 4.11 on Debian/stable, OSX/fink, and Ubuntu/7.10 (which I'm using now), and I never had any problems.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had to install something like libncurses on Ubuntu... but it looked like a standard development library, so I didn't twice about it.