RE: c:maj inconsistency

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: c:maj inconsistency
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:31:17 -0600

Right now, :maj adds a major 7th step, even if no number is present.

c:maj is equivalent to c:maj7.  That is the confusion.

> > Also, I can't see why c:maj is ambiguous as a chord name.
>
> My mistake - I meant c:maj7: If we change c:maj to mean <c e
> g>, then what should c:maj7 mean? <c e g bes> or <c e g b>?
>
> IMHO, by making c:maj equal to c, we would make c:maj7 (and
> friends) less clear. By just disallowing c:maj (without a 7,
> 9, 11, ...) we get rid of the "problem".

I'm OK with that, too.

In looking through the chord name scheme on Wikipedia (I know, it's not
definitive for music, but it's widely available) (see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(music)>), Cmaj is listed as an alternate
name for the major triad.  In any guitar music I've ever played, major chords
are always indicated without any suffix.

So I don't feel strongly about this.  I do feel strongly that c:maj should
_not_ be the same as c:maj7.  I'd be fine if c:maj were disallowed.  I'd also
be fine if c:maj denoted the major triad (i.e. basically equivalent to c:maj5.

Carl