Re: c:maj inconsistency

From: Erlend Aasland
Subject: Re: c:maj inconsistency
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 08:37:00 +0200

Hi

On 19. mai. 2008, at 00:31, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

Right now, :maj adds a major 7th step, even if no number is present.

c:maj is equivalent to c:maj7.  That is the confusion.

Agree

IMHO, by making c:maj equal to c, we would make c:maj7 (and
friends) less clear. By just disallowing c:maj (without a 7,
9, 11, ...) we get rid of the "problem".

I'm OK with that, too.

In looking through the chord name scheme on Wikipedia (I know, it's not definitive for music, but it's widely available) (see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_(music) >), Cmaj is listed as an alternate name for the major triad. In any guitar music I've ever played, major chords are always indicated without any suffix.

Same here; As a jazz guitarist I've never seen a plain major chord notated with any kind of suffix.