Re: Bugtracker cleanup/update

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Bugtracker cleanup/update
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:05:11 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, May 31, 2008 8:54 AM
On Sat, 31 May 2008 09:28:50 +0200
John Mandereau <address@hidden> wrote:

An unsure question is, should big doc work like GDP go on on master
after 2.12?

No, because barring a miracle, there won't be anybody[1] left to do
big doc work.

[1]  Trevor, I mean no offense whatsoever when I imply that you're
nobody.  :)

No problem :)  In any case, I'm unlikely to ever have
as much time to spend on docs as last autumn, when I
worked on the LM.  That was pretty well full-time for
2-3 months.

* the one caveat is docs about programming in scheme; I believe
that Trevor would like to rewrite that chapter.  I highly
doubt that we'll get to that stage during GDP... but it will be
easy enough to backport an entire .itely file to stable when he's
done.

I think John and I might both like to work on this, but
this is well into the future.
Really, the whole point of GDP is to reduce the burden of doc
maintenance.  Barring writing new docs for new features (which I can't
predict), I expect that maintaing the .itely files will be about 2
hours per month (not counting reading email),

This actually takes up most of my available time
at the moment.  I've seriously thought of unsubscribing
from -user, but then I'd quickly lose touch, so it's
not really an option.

and the snippet
maintenance to be 1 hour per month (again, not counting email).
Furthermore, these jobs can easily be done by separate people, so we
don't need to overwhelm one poor sap.