Re: Sad news

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Sad news
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:19:32 +0200

I may be one of the few people on this list who had a chance to meet
him, when he came to Paris this winter and stayed at my place for a
couple of days. We visited Paris together, and when I left him at the
train station, he told me "next time, we'll have to take a picture..."

He spent an entire evening teaching me the Standard ML functional
language; he also taught me about the calculator function in Google,
and quite a few other things.
He was very enthusiastic when it came to computers and programming,
but he was also interested in politics and philosophy.
He played the piano, liked Erik Satie over Debussy (in his opinion
Satie had inspired most composers of the early 20th century).
He was trying to find a position as a programmer, maybe at Google's
Denmark office.
He told me he had initially got involved in LilyPond because he wanted
to implement support for drums notation; then he was also led to work
on the accidentals notation. He also told me LilyPond was one of the
most complex pieces of software he had ever seen, he doubted anyone on
Earth else than Han-Wen was able to know all of it.

There are things we cannot understand, indeed... I remember he briefly
mentioned his family, and I'm thinking about them right now. I hope
they know Rune was a dedicated contributor, a good friend, and someone
important to a lot of people in our small community.

Valentin