Re: ugly @predefined sections in PDF

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: ugly @predefined sections in PDF
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:44:13 -0000

Till Rettig wrote Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:43 PM

Trevor Daniels schrieb:

Werner LEMBERG wrote Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:48 PM

There are only a couple of instances where this looks particularly
bad.  Could we instead change just those instances so each of
predefined commands is on a separate line?  Is this possible?  It
would certainly be easier!

It's not clear to me why this would be `easier'.  Assume that later on
a new command is inserted or removed.  The editor would have to check
the PDF output whether the result is fine.  In case I use @predefined
... @endpredefined, the result is *always* fine.

In general, I prefer a generic solution to a specific one, given that
in this particular case it's really easy to do -- inserting a couple
of @endpredefined doesn't hurt IMHO,

Ah, maybe I misunderstood.  I'd assumed the @endpredefined would
have to be inserted after every list of predefined commands.  If
it is required only after the problematic ones then I agree with
you.

   Werner
Trevor

I think it is even ok to insert them everywhere -- we have also @ignore and @end ignore.

I'm not opposed to this in principle, but you'll have
to find someone else to go through all the .itely files
and insert them.  I don't even have enough time at the
moment to complete the really important stuff, like
getting the text correct, and everyone else who was
working on the docs seems to have given up.

Trevor

BTW why not this kind of hetherogen solution? It would make it also possible to change the appeareance of those sectioning titles: for the moment they look too much like a real subsubsection, at least in the pdf, so it is difficult to keep track in which section you are at the moment. What if it would just be normal bolded text? The pdf has another issue, though: after a sectioning command the tex engine is clever enough not to set an indent. but the following sections are indended. This looks really odd in some of the lists. For this a defined environment would help: in pdf format, we could set it not to use indent, and switch back to indentation once the environment is over.

greetings
till