Re: GOP: new website

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: GOP: new website
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 21:18:54 +0100

Le jeudi 25 décembre 2008 à 21:03 -0800, Graham Percival a écrit :
> I'm trying to decide how to build the new website.  In particular,
> I'd like to be able to create pdfs as well as the html.

Good idea!

> I currently see four options:
> 1)  Build the website with texinfo and texi2html.  With sufficient
> stylesheets and texi2html hacking, I think this is /possible/, but
> I don't know how much appetite there is for this.  I would only
> touch the content, not presentation, of course.

The HTML used in current website is quite simple, it even doesn't have
texi2html.  LilyPond contributors are already familiar with Texinfo, so
it's not much of a trouble for writers either.  I second Werner on going
for this way.

> 3)  Use one of these newfangled langauges like SGML or docbook or
> whatever to produce pdf and html.  I really don't like the idea of
> adding another language to the project, though.

Agreed, and Docbook developers even reported on bug-texinfo or
help-texinfo list they'd like to convert Docbook to Texinfo in order to
get decent PDF output(!).

> 4)  Abandon the "complete website as pdf" idea and just give
> people a tarball of the website for off-online browsing.

This is the easiest to do of course, but even this require a little
work: creating an "offline" option to avoid stripping HTML and graphics
file name extensions.  It's a long time I've been thinking about the
possibility to make the website browsable offline, I'm willing to do it
in the coming weeks.

> Particular parts of the website I'd like to have available
> offline:
> - the crash course and short tour in Introduction.
> - the essay about typesetting in the About
> - the FAQ, publication list, acknowledgements
> - getting help

I think the FAQ needn't be in PDF; in other words I'll never rewrite it
in Texinfo myself.  Other parts you mentioned should be available in PDF
IMO.

>   And to be
> honest, it's not like the pdfs that texinfo produces are fantastic
> examples of typesetting, either.

Certainly, but they are better than many other alternatives.  I've heard
of some Texinfo->LaTeX converter, but I've never tested it.

Cheers,
John