Re: copyright year update script issue

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: copyright year update script issue
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:40:08 +0100

Op woensdag 07-01-2009 om 10:27 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Werner
LEMBERG:

> Well, I think it is a kind of courteousy to leave `external' files
> unchanged.  Additionally, it simplifies updating.

Okay...  I just reread

    http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

and while it says: just update every file, it does have an exception
for "copied files" from other packages.

I still don't truly understand; a copied file is a fork and therefore
quite change-prone, whenever that happens the year may have to be
updated.

>   Other files like
> texinfo.tex should also stay as-is, without updating the copyright
> year (which your script hasn't done BTW).

Do you have a list of files to exclude?

While we're at it, why don't we stop being so smart and different
and just expand the years to 1996,1997,1998 etc, and/or replace the
current headers with standard GNU GPL license notifications?

Jan.