Re: Distribution updates and documentation woes

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Distribution updates and documentation woes
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:01:52 +0100

Hi Jan,
Jan Nieuwenhuizen a écrit :
After 2.12 I decided to do my small round checking of distributions again

Super; I think it's a good idea to go on mentioning distros that provide latest stable on the download page, so I've added links for Fedora and Slackware.

(should we add something like this to release tasks?).

Yes, probably.

Fedora is a special case, it uses our prebuilt documentation ball, so
no simple patch can be provided.  I think we need to fix this, other
distributions may also go this way of using our pre-built doco.  How
to fix images in Info docs for Fedora?

  - distribute lilypond-info-man.tar.bz2 alongside documentation ball?
  - roll info (and man?) docs into documentation ball
     + How?  docbal currently is rooted at ./Documentation,
       info would need to be moved to/unpacked at ../../info .

This will be the simplest solution for Fedora packagers if we include info docs and re-root the documentation ball as you suggest below.

  - suggest make web, make web-install + adding of symlink

This is the standard way to go but it's more involved for the packager; IIRC lilypond-doc Fedora package has not always used this to package the docs, it used to be a bit messy, it included stuff from out/ directories.

See

http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/linux/development/source/SRPMS/lilypond-doc-2.12.1-1.fc11.src.rpm

IWBN if a fedora user would file the wishlist/bug once we settle on a fix.

I can do it next week.

And last but not least: what about our own documentation builds?  Info
docs are missing here altogether!  Should we include info docs and
re-root the documentation ball to look like

   share/doc/lilypond/Documentation/*
   share/info/dir
   share/info/*

I'm for this too. Unless somebody wants to it right now, I'll have time to do it next Wednesday.

and/or provide a shar archive to extract the documentation into
a proper place?

I'd suggest to go on distributing the docs as a bzipped tarball, and add in the shar containing the binary a command line option and/or prompt to download (if not present in current directory) and untar the documentation and install Info docs.

I'm sorry I'm so busy with studies that I'll be idle on LilyPond until next week.

Best,
John