Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:25:13 +0800

It's just past 9pm local time on Sunday.  I went to university,
took some pictures, got sucked into work and being polite to my
supervisor, had dinner and bought breakfast for the next few days,
and had a shower.  Let's face it: I'm never going to finish the CG
at this rate.

So we need some "volunteers" to finish the task.

HIGH PRIORITY:
- can somebody maoing check the maoing git commands in CG 1
  already?  Either somebody with a big internet connection, or
  somebody who knows git so intimiately that he can state with
  absolute certainty that the commands work.

Desired: cut&paste methods for git work.  Don't explain about
branches.  Ideally don't ask people to edit files.  Don't explain
why git is fantastic and can create a nice cup of proper British
tea, which incidentally I would be willing to commit a minor
felony to get right now, or why git is so much better than cvs.
Design these docs for idiots who don't want to think.  Not because
we want braindead idiots contributing to lilypond, but because we
want people contributing to lilypnod to spend all their brainpower
working on their contributions, not puzzling out the git docs,
which incidentally suck worse than the instant cappacino packets
(milk and sugar included in the powder!) I bought last week.

I think the current format is fine, as long as the @example
sections actually work.  I don't know if they do or not.  One Frog
commented that the "git-format patch HEAD" didn't work and he had
to spend half an hour figuring out the right command, which is a
perfect example of what we want to avoid.

MEDIUM PRIORITY:
CG 1 git
- Trevor, you are volunteered to perfect CG 1.5
- Jonathan, you are volunteered to perfect the rest of CG 1.  If
  you want to check the @example commands yourself, great.  If
  not, keep on pestering other people to do this.
- both of you work together to make all of the CG work well.  I
  have to admit that I was surprised to see the command-line stuff
  in CG 1.5; maybe we should just start the CG with "getting git"
  (easy in linux, moderately easy in OSX, dunno how in windows)
  and then have a unified rest of the CG for everybody.

CG 3 docs
- Jonathan, you are volunteered to test this section and identify
  major weaknesses.  Here's one: I haven't mentioned that the
manuals are in Documentation/user/, the CG is in
Documetnation/devel/, snippets are input/lsr and input/new (and
doc people should read CG 4), IR comes from scm/, etc.
- any doc team members should add to the policies whenever they
  find something missing.

CG 7 programming
- Carl, this is your domain.  Add whatever the Frogs need to know.
  CG 7.4 will require input from Werner, but only once we've
  caught up on other stuff.

LOW PRIORITY
- CG 2.  to be done in 2.13.
- CG 4.  to be done whenever we do website stuff, we I'm going to
  optimistically claim to look at after the chinese new year (it's
a *huge* thing here in Singapore).  Not so much because of the
holiday, but because that's when I think we'll have a demo and can
start rehearsals, and I'll have a much stronger case if I tell my
supervisor that everything's fine.
- CG 5.  Valentin, you're volunteered to write this after your
  opera is over and you've caught up on other stuff, like the
  Report.
- CG 6.  I'll tackle this sometime.
- CG 8.  I'll tackle this sometime.

If the high and medium-priority stuff is done by the end of Jan,
that'll be great.  I'll do another GOP advert at the beginning of
Feb.