Re: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:32:05 +0100

2009/1/18 Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>:

> Am Sonntag, 18. Januar 2009 15:47:34 schrieb Maximilian Albert:
>> 1.3.1: AFAICT the second command "git-format-patch HEAD" doesn't do
>> anything because HEAD is the latest commit the user did, i.e., it
>> already includes his changes. Thus there is no diff which could be
>> produced. I suppose it should be changed to "git-format-patch master"
>> instead (or whatever branch he is working on).
>
> This won't work either, because master==HEAD ;-)

Whoops, you are of course right. I normally work on a separate branch
and keep master synchronized with remotes/origin/master, that's why it
usually works for me. :-)

> I suppose it should rather be
>   git-format-patch origin
> for one patch for each local commit or
>   git-format-patch HEAD^1
> for just the last local commit.

Correct. Or else "git-format-patch -n" for the last n local commits
(i.e., "git-format-patch -1" for only the last local commit).

Max