Re: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:33:47 -0600

Graham Percival wrote:

HIGH PRIORITY:
- can somebody maoing check the maoing git commands in CG 1
  already?  Either somebody with a big internet connection, or
  somebody who knows git so intimiately that he can state with
  absolute certainty that the commands work.

Running Ubuntu 8.04

Checking these now.

1. Problem in 1.1.3:

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/devel/contrib-guide/Website-source-code.html#Website-source-code

The first command here creates a dir "lilypod-web" instead of "lilypond-web"

2. 1.1.6: this command in section 1.1.6 didn't do anything when I ran it:

git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git

Here's the terminal output:

address@hidden:~$ git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
bash: git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git: No such file or directory

I tried it in a browser also but it didn't do anything there, either. Is this even a terminal command?

3. 1.1.6: Third item on the same page didn't do anything for me:

ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git

I tried running it again as "ssh git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git" without results.

The http link worked fine.

4. 1.4.1: The "gitk" command has a dependency--need to apt-get it to run the command. Not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it.

NOT CHECKED: I didn't try the commands for creating patches and applying them yet since I don't have any patches to make at the moment. The patches I sent to Carl already were done with the diff -u command instead of git.

Desired: cut&paste methods for git work.  Don't explain about
branches.  Ideally don't ask people to edit files.  Don't explain

An admirable goal!  I agree.

why git is fantastic and can create a nice cup of proper British
tea, which incidentally I would be willing to commit a minor
felony to get right now, or why git is so much better than cvs.
Design these docs for idiots who don't want to think.  Not because
we want braindead idiots contributing to lilypond, but because we
want people contributing to lilypnod to spend all their brainpower
working on their contributions, not puzzling out the git docs,
which incidentally suck worse than the instant cappacino packets
(milk and sugar included in the powder!) I bought last week.

I think the current format is fine, as long as the @example
sections actually work.  I don't know if they do or not.  One Frog
commented that the "git-format patch HEAD" didn't work and he had
to spend half an hour figuring out the right command, which is a
perfect example of what we want to avoid.

Apart from the problems above I think they're fine. I do appreciate having all those commands organized and explained like that. Thanks. :)

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com