Re: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:37:50 -0800

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:25:13PM +0800, Graham Percival wrote:
> It's just past 9pm local time on Sunday.  I went to university,
> took some pictures, got sucked into work and being polite to my
> supervisor, had dinner and bought breakfast for the next few days,
> and had a shower.  Let's face it: I'm never going to finish the CG
> at this rate.
>
> So we need some "volunteers" to finish the task.
>
> HIGH PRIORITY:
> - can somebody maoing check the maoing git commands in CG 1
>   already?  Either somebody with a big internet connection, or
>   somebody who knows git so intimiately that he can state with
>   absolute certainty that the commands work.

The most important thing about git commands that we should be
*absolutely* consistent about is this:

(1) git-format-patch origin

...versus...

(2) git format-patch origin

Out of the box, command (1) will only work for Git versions < 1.6.*,
and command (2) will work for all Git versions.

Since the latest Git is 1.6.*, and eventually everyone will be using
it, we should get this right so we won't have to change the CG later
to reflect this.

-Patrick