Re: tempoMark - documentation and use

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: tempoMark - documentation and use
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 00:53:48 +0800

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 06:24:31PM +0200, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> Jonathan Kulp wrote:
>>
>> mpdolce = #(make-dynamic-script (markup #:hspace 1 #:translate (cons 5 0)
>>   #:line(#:dynamic "mp" #:text #:italic "dolce" )))
> It seems that the above line is copied from the current documentation
> but it seems a bit weird:

That came from me sometime around 2005.  Last fall, I got the
dynamics working much better with the make-dynamic-extra function.
So I propose that this example should be completely changed.

> - Is there any good reason to use (cons 5 0) instead of '(5 . 0)?

... but my current code uses (cons x y).  I'll change this in my
own code, so that it'll be nice when it gets integrated.

> The
> latter is the syntax used for most other settings in the documentation
> where the value is a pair, but for some reason the person who first
> documented the \translate markup command choose to use cons instead and
> this habit has been copied all over the manual.

I certainly didn't document \translate!  I blame Han-Wen.  :)

So should we remove (cons    everywhere?  That'd be easy enough to
grep for.