Re: tempoMark - documentation and use

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: tempoMark - documentation and use
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 19:05:08 +0200

Graham Percival wrote:

So should we remove (cons    everywhere?  That'd be easy enough to
grep for.
No, not in situations where you want to evaluate the values before you form the pair, like the following example from programming-interface.itely:

manualBeam =
#(define-music-function (parser location beg end)
                       (number? number?)
#{
 \once \override Beam #'positions = #(cons $beg $end)
#})

\relative {
 \manualBeam #3 #6 c8 d e f
}

Here, the alternative to using cons is to use
#`(,$beg . ,$end)
which is far more ugly!

Actually, using cons consequently ;-) might make sense since it both avoids the above mentioned problems and avoids problems with people who don't notice the dot between the values, but my impression is that '(1 . 2) is used more often than (cons 1 2) in the current documentation and it saves some typing, so I don't have any strong opinion in any direction.

   /Mats