Re: mergin web/ with master/

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: mergin web/ with master/
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:00:37 -0700

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 03:09:48PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op zaterdag 06-06-2009 om 05:08 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Graham
> Percival:
>
> > The actual experiments would be done on a separate branch -- but
> > only the initial experiments.  Basically, I want to:
> > - merge web/ and master/
> > - copy the new master/ into gop/
>
> Do I understand these steps to be something like [the just tested
> over here]
>
>     git checkout -b web-gop origin/web
>     mkdir -p Documentation/web
>     mv .gitignore * Documentation/web/
>     git add .   # watch out for any crufty in . moved to web/ :-)
>     git add -u .
>     git commit -m 'Prepare web for merge, move into Documentation/web.'
>     git checkout -b gop origin/master
>     git merge web-gop

Yes.  (other than web-gop being out of date; I'll deal with this
soon)

> There's one thing that still bothers me about this, we'd
> need to declare Documentation/web 'dead' for branches
> other than master, eg, stable/2.12, whereas the rest of
> Documentation/ would not be dead in stable/2.12.  Would
> this be a problem?

What do you mean by "dead"?  If you mean "not being updated", then
stable/2.12 isn't being updated anyway.

Eventually, I'd like to have
  docs/
  docs/web/
  docs/learning/
  docs/reference/
  docs/devel/
  docs/snippets/
  docs/examples/  (maybe)

with the approporiate translation files in each subdir.  Then
input/regressions/ turns into regressions/ or maybe regtests/, and
everything else in input/ is put into docs/.  That way, we can
tell doc people that everything is in docs/.

John, if you're reading this: don't worry, I'm going to do all the
build system modifications myself.  :)