Re: The \\ construct for simultaneous voices

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The \\ construct for simultaneous voices
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:42:07 +0200

"Anthony W. Youngman" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm game. My two problems are (1) finding time, and (2) I'll need a
> fair bit of hand-holding to start off with, I expect. I'm very much a
> procedurally trained programmer (C, Fortran, *decent* BASICs).

You'll find that most of the "functional" claim in Scheme (and Lisp) is
a lie in practice.  It's mostly a different syntax, but the programming
style is appallingly similar.

C preprocessor programming, for example, is often "I can warp it to look
like a function call".  In Scheme and its ilk, pretty much everything
looks like a function call without warping.

And that's almost all.  A functional programming style without global
variables and states, like

((lambda (f n) (f f n)) (lambda(f n) (if (< n 1) 1 (* n (f f (- n 1))))) 5)

is not something you'll find in Lilypond.