Re: The \\ construct for simultaneous voices

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: The \\ construct for simultaneous voices
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:59:02 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> writes
Hi all,

\\ is quite more convenient than explicit voices and thus an important
idiom that makes Lilypond friendlier to the user.

Yes, but as previously discussed, the confusion it (ultimately) causes is a
poor trade-off. The whole problem would be solved if \\ Did The Right Thing,
i.e.

  << { musicA } \\ { musicB }>>

would automagically expand to

  << { \voiceOne musicA } \context Voice = "2" { \voiceTwo musicB }>>
\oneVoice

I can take this on as my next Frog task, if it requires no C++. Then, the
documentation can simply use \\ early on (e.g., in the LM), and show what
it does later.

Dunno if this will require some C++, but I've just tried using \\ instead of partcombine, and neither really do what I want. \\ looked awful.

I've got two parts - Trombone 1 and Trombone 2. On the music I've got, they're printed on one piece of music. Obviously I want to enter them as two separate music variables, so I can print them as one part or two as appropriate (and I also want, at some point, to print condensed scores ...)

If I use \\, it sort of does what I want - prints the two parts on the same staff. But it's a right mess - so far I've discovered that if you have multi-bar rests it just double prints the numbers one above the other :-( And if one voice ends just before the other has a multibar rest, the barcount doesn't print. Don't know if there are any other oddities.

Using partcombine, I think it's doing its job properly. But the result is a mass of "a2", "Solo I", "Solo II" which I don't want. I'd like both parts printed in full, with only "a2" where they're both playing the same.

Okay, I'm trying to find time to investigate this for myself, but if somebody else is already looking at this sort of thing, I'll just throw this into the mix for them...

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden