RE: The \\ construct for simultaneous voices

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: RE: The \\ construct for simultaneous voices
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 14:34:20 +0000

Hi all,

> \\ is quite more convenient than explicit voices and thus an important
> idiom that makes Lilypond friendlier to the user.

Yes, but as previously discussed, the confusion it (ultimately) causes is a poor trade-off. The whole problem would be solved if \\ Did The Right Thing, i.e.

  << { musicA } \\ { musicB }>>

would automagically expand to

  << { \voiceOne musicA } \context Voice = "2" { \voiceTwo musicB }>> \oneVoice

I can take this on as my next Frog task, if it requires no C++. Then, the documentation can simply use \\ early on (e.g., in the LM), and show what it does later.

Cheers,
Kieren.