Re: The \\ construct for simultaneous voices

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: The \\ construct for simultaneous voices
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 22:45:10 +0100

Kieren MacMillan wrote Monday, September 07, 2009 7:40 PM

which works fine, if I understand what you want. So I was wondering if Trevor was referring to something else...

Yes, I was thinking more of \lyricsto, which
needs a named context, and perhaps SATB on
two staves.  I originally placed the \\ construct
first as it seemed simpler, but too many people
adopted it as the only or at least the recommended
way of writing concurrent music, only to find
difficulties when they moved on to more complex
scores.  The \\ construct has its use, but I now
think teaching the \new Voice method at the start
gives a better and sounder grounding.

Trevor