Re: [frogs] CG Feedback

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [frogs] CG Feedback
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:19:08 -0700

On 1/16/10 11:14 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi list.
>
> I thought I'd post a quick note of the issues I faced downloading and
> building LilyPond. On the whole the experience was far less painful
> that I thought it would be but I hope the following may be of use. I
> would have posted this earlier, but I made the mistake of doing a 'make
> check' and I've only just got my PC back again :)
>
> My main misunderstanding was to do with 'git add' and 'git commit' as
> I had the impression that git commit only commits modifications and not
> additions. The new section 2 of the CG is much clearer on this than
> before, but I think the line in 2.3.4:
>
> "The -a is short for --all which includes modified and deleted files,
> but not newly created files."
>
> would be better as:
>
> "The -a is short for --all which includes modified and deleted files,
> but only newly created files which have been added with git add."

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've made the change in git.

> or something to that effect.
>
> My next problem was not being sure how to look at the changes but this
> has been addressed (git diff HEAD.)
>
> When building LilyPond I was confused that the general build
> instructions (3.1.3) were different from the instructions for building
> on a Virtual Machine (3.3),  in particular that there is no ./configure
> after the ./autogen.sh - in the end I assumed that it should have been
> there and ran the configure script anyway.

I think that ./autogen.sh will automatically run configure, so that it's not
necessary to run ./configure after you do ./autogen.sh.

If somebody else corrects me on this, I'll make the change to the CG.

> Something went wrong with my
> build as, although LilyPond and the docs all seemed fine, convert-ly
> couldn't find a library. Unfortunately I have no idea what I did wrong
> to cause this. Rebuilding from scratch fixed it.
>
> Everything else was quite pain free. I deliberately chose a more
> difficult route to contributing a snippet than necessary but the
> learning trip was useful to me and I hope the feedback can be of use to
> someone else.

Thanks for providing the test of our documentation.  It's great to have you
helping to make things better.  And it's *wonderful* to have the
Contributor's Guide to capture this knowledge that used to be buried in the
-devel archives.

Thanks to all who have helped put it together!

Carl