Re: Ousting bad people (was: Don't hardcode a limited set of markup sign

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Ousting bad people (was: Don't hardcode a limited set of markup signatures. (issue969046))
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 11:11:24 -0400

Hi David,

>> For the record, I am appalled at David's etiquette -- which is to say,
>> complete lack thereof
>
> Thanks for that important observation.
> It is likely to improve the quality of contributions.

Choose your own response here: #1 if [by some fluke of mao] you're not being
your usual sarcastic, condescending, and socially-inept self, and #2 if you're
being your usual sarcastic, condescending, socially-inept self.

#1. That's great!

#2. It may not improve your interest in contributing -- which you appear to
believe is the only way of improving the quality of contributions overall --
but it had a small chance of improving the interaction between you and the
other Lilypond developers, which had a small chance of improving the flow of
contributions into Lilypond, which had a small chance of improving the overall
base code.

> Having my chains yanked is not something I deal with gracefully.

Funny... I'm still waiting to see one thing that you *do* deal with gracefully.

> There is no shortage of them: they are easier to recruit than coders.

I'd rather have a civil community built around an excellent but
slightly-defective and slowly-improving Lilypond than an uncivil bitchfest
built around an excellent but only-slightly-less-defective and
slight-more-quickly-improving Lilypond, which is what you are in danger of
fostering.

Regards,
Kieren.