Re: Doc fixes for \applyOutput ... ok to push?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Doc fixes for \applyOutput ... ok to push?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:01:37 -0600

On 9/25/10 9:42 AM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> +In the PDF and HTML output, variables should appear in a monospace
>> +font (to indicate that they are elements of program code).  So
>> +when referring to variables in the text, use
>>  @code{@@address@hidden@@address@hidden@address@hidden@}}, unless the
>>  @code{@@address@hidden@address@hidden is already within another fixed-width
>> +command such as @code{@@address@hidden@address@hidden or @code{@@example}.
>
>> I would not mention monospace.  It might make people
>> fiddle with monospace font instructions, defeating
>> consistency.
>
> What do you mean by "fiddle with monospace font
> instructions"?  I can't imagine what contributors would be
> tempted to do wrong, given these instructions.

I think David's point is that variables should appear in @code{} format, not
monospace format.  We might choose to make @code{} become monospace bold, or
monospace italic, or monospace underlined (none of which are good
suggestions, I know).

But the real instruction is to put it in @code{}, not in monospace.  The
formatting to be used by @code{} is not the contributor's concern.

Thanks,