Re: Doc fixes for \applyOutput ... ok to push?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Doc fixes for \applyOutput ... ok to push?
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:35:00 +0100

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 07:29:26PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Nope; we get line breaks in stuff like @code{\override
> > Voice.textscript #'padding = #3}.  :(
> >
> > I'm not certain whether this constitutes a bug with texinfo itself
> > (i.e. I'm not going to argue about what the default formatting should
> > be), but it would definitely be nice if we could make our backends
> > (texi2pdf, texi2html) avoid newlines in such material.  I can't
> > remember if this made its way onto the tracker or not.
>
> I seem to remember that in TeX hyphenation is more or less a font
> property.  If that is not the case, one can likely do something like
> @iftex
> @address@hidden@address@hidden }
> @end iftex
> in order to turn off hyphenation for the font selected for @code
> passages, obviously for those backends implemented with TeX.

Oh, sorry -- I wasn't talking about hyphenation (although that
would also suck!), but rather line breaks between works.  i.e. the
docs might look like:
-----
To move the text, we can use \override Voice.textscript
#'padding = #3 which will then increase the padding.
-----
(bad example, I know)

I think the docs would be easier to read (and copy from) if the
entire \override command (or more technically, the entire
@code{...} entry) did not permit line breaks.

I expect that there's a mechanism our texinfo.tex to do this.
About a year ago, I outlined the way to add it to texi2html.  But
it still requires somebody to look into it, modify the relevant
files, send a patch, etc.