Re: Distributions upgrading to Python 3

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: Distributions upgrading to Python 3
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 20:53:24 -0700

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Benjamin Peterson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Patrick McCarty <pnorcks <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Arch Linux will be migrating to Python 3 very soon,
>
> What does this mean? "$ python" will give Python 3?

Yes.

> If so, that's no good. "python3" is supposed to be the name of the Python 3
> executable for time in memoriam.

Huh.  I've been following the Arch Linux development list for a while,
but it didn't occur to me that they were doing something radically
different than the recommended policy.

This is the procedure they are following, and I think they are nearly
finished with the task:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Python_Todo_List

-Patrick