Re: Distributions upgrading to Python 3

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Distributions upgrading to Python 3
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:19:44 -0700 (PDT)

Patrick McCarty wrote:
> Huh.  I've been following the Arch Linux development list
> for a while, but it didn't occur to me that they were
> doing something radically different than the recommended
> policy.
>
> This is the procedure they are following, and I think they
> are nearly finished with the task:
>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Python_Todo_List

Their advice is pretty clear (quoted from above link):

Packages pointing at python binary
(lilypond appears in this list)

Packages which have "/usr/bin/python" or "/usr/bin/env
python" in their files and will need to change to python2 if
not already compatible with python-3.x.  Note that some of
these are fixed by just building against a python2 binary,
while others require some sed magic...

- Mark