Re: Backporting / stable

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Backporting / stable
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 08:52:42 -0600

On 4/30/11 8:49 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 08:37:01AM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> I actually think it would be more work to remove the beam-collision-engraver
>> than to keep it in.  But at this point I expect it to be months before we
>> are sure we're clear of Critical bugs in beam-collision engraver.
>
> We don't need to be sure that we're clear.  All we need... or at
> least, all I want before uploading the official 2.14.0... is for
> one week without *known* Critical bugs.

Right, but we haven't had that happen with the beaming since
beam-collision-engraver was added.

> Of course 2.14.0 will have unknown Critical bugs in it; there's
> just no realistic way to avoid that, so we're not even going to
> try (other than offering release candidates).
>
>> Beaming affects literally every piece of music.  And there are so many beam
>> cases that it seems to me to be unlikely that we'll be able to wring this
>> all out in a time frame of say 6 weeks.  I expect it to be more like 4-6
>> months.  We have had beam-collision-engraver in git since Feb. 9.  We still
>> have Critical issues related to it.
>
> Well, I'm on vacation for most of May, so we're looking at a June
> release at the earliest, in any case.

So it seems that we've got some time to wait on this decision.  I'll just
pretend I never raised the issue, and when you get back from vacation if
we're still adding Critical beaming bugs, we'll have the discussion again.

> (unless I set up ssh access from outside the university and leave
> my computer on, which I'm considering... but it would kind-of suck
> to spend my evenings in Paris and Amsterdam crouched over my
> laptop, using ssh over a hotel's dodgy wireless network)

Don't even *think* about doing that!  Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks,

Carl