Re: Backporting / stable

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Backporting / stable
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:51:28 -0700

On Apr 30, 2011, at 8:03 AM, Graham Percival wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 08:52:42AM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> On 4/30/11 8:49 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> We don't need to be sure that we're clear.  All we need... or at
>>> least, all I want before uploading the official 2.14.0... is for
>>> one week without *known* Critical bugs.
>>
>> Right, but we haven't had that happen with the beaming since
>> beam-collision-engraver was added.
>
> I'm pretty certain that we've had at least one 7-day period
> without new Critical bugs -- the only probablem was that such
> periods coincided with having old Critical bugs around.
>
> I'll admit that our record so far is still less than 48 hours of
> critical-bug-free-ness.  But once we *do* have some bugs in the
> system, we can go for days and days without any new critical bugs
> being reported.  If we'd been a bit faster in fixing some bugs, or
> a bit luckier and having a Critical bug report a few days later...
> or luckier in having critical bugs being reported earlier, and
> then getting fixed earlier... then I think we could have had 2.14
> by now.
>
>>> Well, I'm on vacation for most of May, so we're looking at a June
>>> release at the earliest, in any case.
>>
>> So it seems that we've got some time to wait on this decision.  I'll just
>> pretend I never raised the issue, and when you get back from vacation if
>> we're still adding Critical beaming bugs, we'll have the discussion again.
>
> ok.
>
>>> (unless I set up ssh access from outside the university and leave
>>> my computer on, which I'm considering... but it would kind-of suck
>>> to spend my evenings in Paris and Amsterdam crouched over my
>>> laptop, using ssh over a hotel's dodgy wireless network)
>>
>> Don't even *think* about doing that!  Enjoy your vacation!
>
> Well, I'm definitely budgeting at least an hour of emails per day
> (not necessarily at night).  The sucky part was the interactive
> ssh over wireless, not the laptop in general.
>
> My traveling companion is a long-time family friend, and is also a
> workaholic, so she'll understand.  I think.
>

> (is it wrong that I've started looking at https javascript ssh
> sites, so that if I'm stuck waiting in a line-up or something, I
> can whip out my kindle and log in to my desktop at university? :)
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

I have no problem commenting out the Beam_collision_engraver and putting a
use-at-your-own risk bit in the docs along with a list of known problems.  In
the devel version, the BCE could be a non-commented-out feature that people
continue using/breaking so that we can perfect it over the next year or so.  I
agree that issues keep cropping up, and I think that we won't be able to
anticipate all of them without broad, continued use in a variety of
circumstances.

Cheers,
MS