Re: Backporting / stable

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Backporting / stable
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:03:58 +0100

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 08:52:42AM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> On 4/30/11 8:49 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > We don't need to be sure that we're clear.  All we need... or at
> > least, all I want before uploading the official 2.14.0... is for
> > one week without *known* Critical bugs.
>
> Right, but we haven't had that happen with the beaming since
> beam-collision-engraver was added.

I'm pretty certain that we've had at least one 7-day period
without new Critical bugs -- the only probablem was that such
periods coincided with having old Critical bugs around.

I'll admit that our record so far is still less than 48 hours of
critical-bug-free-ness.  But once we *do* have some bugs in the
system, we can go for days and days without any new critical bugs
being reported.  If we'd been a bit faster in fixing some bugs, or
a bit luckier and having a Critical bug report a few days later...
or luckier in having critical bugs being reported earlier, and
then getting fixed earlier... then I think we could have had 2.14
by now.

> > Well, I'm on vacation for most of May, so we're looking at a June
> > release at the earliest, in any case.
>
> So it seems that we've got some time to wait on this decision.  I'll just
> pretend I never raised the issue, and when you get back from vacation if
> we're still adding Critical beaming bugs, we'll have the discussion again.

ok.

> > (unless I set up ssh access from outside the university and leave
> > my computer on, which I'm considering... but it would kind-of suck
> > to spend my evenings in Paris and Amsterdam crouched over my
> > laptop, using ssh over a hotel's dodgy wireless network)
>
> Don't even *think* about doing that!  Enjoy your vacation!

Well, I'm definitely budgeting at least an hour of emails per day
(not necessarily at night).  The sucky part was the interactive
ssh over wireless, not the laptop in general.

My traveling companion is a long-time family friend, and is also a
workaholic, so she'll understand.  I think.

(is it wrong that I've started looking at https javascript ssh
sites, so that if I'm stuck waiting in a line-up or something, I
can whip out my kindle and log in to my desktop at university? :)