Re: Backporting / stable

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Backporting / stable
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 15:49:17 +0100

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 08:37:01AM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> I actually think it would be more work to remove the beam-collision-engraver
> than to keep it in.  But at this point I expect it to be months before we
> are sure we're clear of Critical bugs in beam-collision engraver.

We don't need to be sure that we're clear.  All we need... or at
least, all I want before uploading the official 2.14.0... is for
one week without *known* Critical bugs.

Of course 2.14.0 will have unknown Critical bugs in it; there's
just no realistic way to avoid that, so we're not even going to
try (other than offering release candidates).

> Beaming affects literally every piece of music.  And there are so many beam
> cases that it seems to me to be unlikely that we'll be able to wring this
> all out in a time frame of say 6 weeks.  I expect it to be more like 4-6
> months.  We have had beam-collision-engraver in git since Feb. 9.  We still
> have Critical issues related to it.

Well, I'm on vacation for most of May, so we're looking at a June
release at the earliest, in any case.
(unless I set up ssh access from outside the university and leave
my computer on, which I'm considering... but it would kind-of suck
to spend my evenings in Paris and Amsterdam crouched over my
laptop, using ssh over a hotel's dodgy wireless network)