Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:43:26 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> No.  fixcc.py will [need] emacs 23.1.1 to be installed.

If the version of emacs matters, then
1) we might have more work when people move to 24
2) it hints that emacs formatting is not stable enough for our purpose

> astyle 2.02 is the simplest; it's a standalone tool.
> Unfortunately, astyle does not produce output which is as nice as
> emacs+fixcc.py.

Not-as-nice is only a problem if the indenter tool takes a nice format and
makes
it not-nice to the extent that it could confuse a human as to the meaning of
the
code.

I would hope the indenter tool is conservative, so that it makes no changes to
variations on formatting within the standard.  Then it is less likely to
frustrate us.

I am surprised you did not turn first to good old indent.  Thu gnu guys give an
option set for use with indent.
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Formatting.html>