Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:12:25 +0200

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I’m going to make the bold step of assuming that we will eliminate
> tabs in all C++ files. I personally like the idea of tabs, but
> from an examination of source code styles (both official and
> unofficial) in various projects, I must admit that this ship has
> sailed.

I used to think that way, until the following links gave me second thoughts:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/TabsvsSpaces
http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

Specifically, the "tabs are for indentation, spaces for alignment"
thing does actually make sense in Lisp-like code (even
though,generally speaking yeah, tabs must die). Just out of curiosity,
does this motto of yours extend to Scheme? We currently have tabs in
some .scm files but not all, not to mention Schemey .ly files...

Cheers,
V.