Re: git-cl is down

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: git-cl is down
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:08:49 +0200

2011/7/17 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
> On 7/16/11 5:37 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 05:13:29PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>>
>>> IMO, we should be aiming at one commit per Rietveld issue, rather than a
>>> series of commits per Rietveld issue.
>>
>> That's beside the point, at least as far as I understand it.
>>
>> - Bertrand writes some code.
>> - Bertrand makes a git commit.  That commit has a nice message, it
>>   has his name, etc.
>> - Bertrand gets this patch onto Rietveld using git-cl.
>
> More common, patch needs some changes.  So Bertrand makes some changes and
> then makes a git commit.  This commit reflects the changes.  Then Bertrand
> pushes a new patch set.
>
> This happens a couple of times.
>
> Now Bertrand's repository doesn't have one commit on this branch, he has
> three or four commits on his branch.  And the first two or three are not
> right -- they haven't passed code review.
>
> The final patch set passes code review.
>
> Graham wants to push this patch set.  But he can't, unless he writes his own
> commit message and sets the author.
>
> But if Bertrand has been uploading as he did with his test issue, there are
> *3* patches, not *1*.   And the first 2 are not accepted, so we don't want
> them in our source tree.  They might even break compiling; if so, they'd
> mess up git bisect.
>
> Since we're only ready for committing after getting approval, we need to
> combine into a single commit after approval.  Either you can do it (creating
> your own metadata, as you said) or he can do it (using git rebase -i).  But
> somebody needs to make the change to the commits in order get them ready for
> pushing.

Just for the record: i often make typos or style mistakes (in addition
to regular fixes needed), so i often have more than 5 commits for a
single issue, many of them with the message "blalah", "fix" or
something like that.  I usually do rebase -i when i feel the patch is
finished and there are no unsolved comments; it's usually during
countdown.

cheers,
Janek