Re: review process not working

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: review process not working
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 08:37:06 +0200

I agree with Graham that it's a matter of bad luck (i.e. "stuff
happens").  If i understand Graham correctly, the idea of countdown is
not to add some beaurocratic order, but to force us to "speak now, or
forever be silent" (tongue-in-cheek, of course).  In other words, a
patch without reviews is not put on countdown because it certainly
must be good, but precisely to *get* some reviews.

2011/7/26 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 07:36:43PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> So it needs to tell its story in comments.  It doesn't.  There is a lot
>> of code in Lilypond that nonchalantly expects people to get along
>> without commenting what it does.  This is often a nuisance, but if the
>> code is written by a master, the pain of figuring out what it does is
>> usually tolerable.
>
> Very true; I think that almost all developers (if not all!) would
> like to see better comments in the code!

I'd like to see them for certain.

> Could you get into the
> habit of pointing out questionable / unclear parts of code in
> future patches, so that the author will explain them in comments?

I'll try.  This will probably be easy; as i won't understant anything
i'll ask for comments everywhere :)

cheers,
Janek