Re: review process not working

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: review process not working
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:55:52 +0200

Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2011, 19:43:26 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:
> > So, it seems the only one who is aware of those rounding problems is
> > David. The question then is, why didn't David do a review of the patch
> > and now complains that the process is not working?
>
> Come on.

Yes, I didn't intend it to sound like an ad-hominem attack. Sorry for that.

One important thing with code reviews is that either one perfect reviewer
(which doesn't exist, of course) looks at it, or many different eyes look at a
patch and might observe problems. Most developers - me included - simply do
not do enough code reviews. The reason is mostly that we all think that we
don't know enough about the code or the area that the patch is about.

Rather, we should still try to look at and understand those patches, because
we might also spot some logic errors or style errors, even if we don t know
anything about that area.

Anyway, code review is no guarantee for perfect and fault-less patches.
Rather, it minimizes the chance of bad code going into lilypond, and it
increases the chance that problems are found. But 100% can never be achieved.

And with the patch reviews and the patch countdown, at least we get some
feedback now. A while ago it used to be luck if you posted a patch to the
devel list and got one response eventually.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886